HISTORY

Sundial House

To most people living in Culcheth, Sundial House is the name of the CPS shopping centre, but older residents will remember the original Sundial House, this was replaced back in the 1970’s with a modern building which is now a shopping centre.

The Journal Newspaper wrote this article below on Friday August 12th, 1936

A photograph of Sundial House, Culcheth, an unusual type of sundial is over the doorway. It is at present the residence of Mr. and Mrs. J. Wedel, the latter being a descendant of Mr. James Cleworth, who purchased the premises in 1838, and the little girl in the photograph is the fifth generation on the female side to reside here.

A date carved on one of the oak beams is 1621 and the house is thought to date to that time; it was at one time Twiss Green School and afterwards the Leigh Union Workhouse and was purchased from them in 1838. It is interesting to note that there are several houses of similar construction in the district, namely Holcroft Hall and Woolden Hall (on) Holcroft Lane, and no doubt they belong to the same period.

Sundial House is tucked away, about 80 yards from the Leigh-Warrington main road on the right hand side just after passing the Harrow Inn, and many hundreds of local motorists must have passed it many times without noticing it.

Sundial House.jpg
Sundial Image.jpg

CULCHETH

Sundial.jpg

Culcheth is a large village approximately 6 miles (10 km) north-east of Warrington, England. It is the principal settlement in Culcheth and Glazebury civil parish.

 

The village has many amenities which make it a popular place to live. These include several good restaurants, cafes and pubs. Liberty's Gin Bar provides food, drinks and a welcome atmosphere throughout the day with a sophisticated late-night venue into the early hours.

 

It is primarily residential, with a large village green at its heart, where the annual Community Day is held. Walks are to be found along the old railway line, now known as Culcheth Linear park.

There are two supermarkets in the village centre, namely Co-op and Sainsbury's, together with a wide range of smaller specialist shops.

 

Culcheth provides a good selection of restaurants (Italian, Thai, Indian, Chinese, Turkish and upmarket English), cafes, and takeaways.

 

There are four pubs in Culcheth: The New Inn (now a Thai restaurant), The Culcheth Arms, The Cherry Tree and The Pack Horse.

 

Culcheth also has three primary schools and a High School which was relocated to a brand new building in 2010.

culcheth(1963)old2.jpg